Jul 27, 2009

Hot Bikram yoga at Burleigh Heads



Bikram yoga (or hot yoga as I like to call it!) is really a life changing experience. Having tried most forms of exercise, and over time losing interest in all, I have finally found the ultimate outlet for both body and mind. Having tried traditional yoga with little enjoyment, it took a lot of convincing by a friend to try this form of yoga, and in a stinking hot room!
Note: stinking- I will get back to later!
So quite reluctantly I went along for my first 90 minute session in a room heated to 37 degrees Celsius, and awkwardly attempted all 26 postures. Each lesson the lithe and glowing instructor reminds first timer's that this will be a life changing experience, and this could not be more true! Regardless of my very limited flexibility and aversion to profuse sweating, I came out of there with more feel good chemicals racing around than I have ever experienced. My heart beat to a new tune, and my skin glowed like I had just returned from two weeks in Tahiti. No sooner had I left the room, I was planning my next visit!. Since this time I have become a complete devotee of Bikram yoga, and you don't have to be Jane Fonda to enjoy! I still can't touch my toes but that does not stop me from getting the best workout I have ever experienced.

Note: I probably should prepare anyone thinking of trying it out that there is certain amount of 'pong' you may first experience when entering, however you quickly get used to it and it has yet to deter even my fussiest friends.


The studio in Burleigh is currently the only Bikram offered on the Gold Coast. This week will see it relocating to newer, larger and apparently fresher premises. You would really be doing yourself a favour to give it a try sometime soon. To check out location and times go to http://www.bikramyogagoldcoast.com.au/

1 comment:

  1. Burleigh Heads Gold Coast provides a more peaceful setting. It's a favorite site for weekend activities like barbecues, cricket matches and surfing.

    ReplyDelete